Park City Day School, a small, independent PS-Grade 8 school located in Park City, UT, seeks an experienced, creative, and energetic educator to join our team as a Middle School Math Teacher.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach a core middle school math curriculum in grades 6, 7, 8;
- Guide the development of the middle school math curriculum into the Middle Years Program of the IB;
- Know and implement the PCDS Teaching Framework based on the Charlotte Danielson model;
- Prepare weekly lesson plans including instructional objectives, learning activities, collaborative integration with specialist teachers, assessment, and use of resources;
- Implement effective classroom management procedures aligned with the PCDS “Strive for Five” values to create a classroom environment that promotes learning, nurtures age-appropriate development of social-emotional skills, and establishes a welcoming, collaborative classroom culture, consistent with our school’s mission;
- Use technology tools and resources (Smartboard, iPads, Laptops, Google Apps, online resources, school-specific software) to enhance, differentiate, innovate, and extend instruction;
- Actively lead, participate and support outdoor education opportunities aligned with or as organized by the Outdoor Education department;
- Participate in the school community including collaboration meetings, weekly faculty meetings, professional development sessions, and special events. Responsibilities also include recess, lunch, and morning extra help sessions;
- Communicate regularly with families and complete a weekly newsletter. Return phone calls/emails in a timely manner, and conference frequently with parents regarding student progress;
- Utilize the Park City Day School Learning Management System (MyPCDS) to track and communicate student progress and communicate classroom information via the online portal
- Adhere to Park City Day School policies and procedures as a professional educatorKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience teaching Pre-Algebra, Geometry and Algebra;
- Experience implementing units of inquiry as defined by the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program or eagerness to develop this capacity;
- Evidence of strong curricular integration and collaboration;
- Demonstrated understanding of thematic learning;
- Demonstrated knowledge of developmental characteristics of age level taught;
- Experience implementing Outdoor Education opportunities, including extended trips;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and create materials for instruction when appropriate;
- Evidence of strong organizational, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated understanding and successful implementation of differentiated instruction;
- Willingness to adapt to and utilize existing school curriculum and resources;
- Demonstrated experience with technology use and application in a classroom setting;
- Willingness to actively engage in regular school improvement work and training;
- Knowledge of the Danielson Teacher Framework and its use in professional growth.Personal and Professional Qualities:
The successful candidate should possess the following personal qualities:
- Educational Expertise
: PCDS teachers evidence a successful academic background and a mindset for lifelong learning and continuous professional improvement.
- Rapport with Children
: PCDS teachers instruct in a broad range of curricular and co-curricular areas; however, the true subject (not object) of a PCDS education is children. PCDS teachers’ ability to connect, both individually and collectively, with children is critical to their success.
: Although the self-confidence and autonomy to plan and lead classes is essential, PCDS teachers collaborate with colleagues and share ideas to ensure that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. In peer groups, successful Park City Day School teachers serve both as contributing followers and respectful leaders.
: As invested citizens of a school community and world network, PCDS teachers model the active intellectual and moral engagement necessary for a successful, sustainable society.
: To set a high standard in a world characterized by constant and rapid changes, PCDS teachers adapt creatively in response to institutional and global circumstances, advances in educational technology and innovation in instructional methods.
- "Strive for Five" School Values
: Our teachers daily model our five School Values - Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, and Compassion - and actively integrate them into the fabric of our school community through reflective opportunities and other daily “teachable moments.”Qualifications:
- A minimum of a college bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred
- Coursework with an emphasis in education strongly preferred
- A minimum of three years teaching experience is strongly preferred
- A minimum of two years experience with the IB Middle Years Program is desirable
Candidates will submit the following in one PDF file to email@example.com
. Successful candidates who may receive additional consideration will be contacted for an initial interview before a potential visit to the school.
- A current resume showing all relevant employment;
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position;
- A list of references that can be contacted at the appropriate time.