Position Overview: Park City Day School, a small, independent PS-Grade 8 school located in Park City, UT, seeks an experienced, creative, and energetic educator to join our team as a Student Support Specialist. The role of the Student Support Specialist combines duties of both an academic learning specialist and a school counselor. The Specialist helps students understand their learning styles and assists teachers in working with students with different learning needs. The Specialist is responsible for the overall organization, monitoring and remediation of student support services, both academic and social-emotional. The Support Specialist reports directly to the Director of Studies. For the 2020-21 school year the position will be 0.6 FTE.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In-class teacher support for implementing interventions and accommodations;
- Individual and small group student support;
- Reviewing evaluations with parents and teachers to design support plans; tracking and overseeing the implementation of accommodations as a child progresses through each grade level;
- Participating in the admissions screening process;
- Assist the Director of Studies and classroom teachers with the administration of standardized tests;
- Oversee the Carson Smith Scholarship Program.
- Educate the school’s students on a host of pertinent topics including but not limited to bullying, cyber safety, and child safety matters;
- Educate the school’s parents on those issues that affect their children;
- Help monitor student safety during the school day (morning drop off, lunch, parent pick up, recess, etc...);
- Support teachers and administrators with student behavioral interventions;
- Adhere to ethical standards of the counseling profession, abiding by the laws, policies, and procedures that govern the school;
- Communicate effectively with all school stakeholders.
Personal and professional qualities:
The successful candidate should possess the following personal qualities:
- Educational Expertise
: PCDS teachers evidence a successful academic background and a mindset for lifelong learning and continuous professional improvement.
- Rapport with Children
: PCDS teachers instruct in a broad range of curricular and co-curricular areas; however, the true subject (not object) of a PCDS education is children. PCDS teachers’ ability to connect, both individually and collectively, with children is critical to their success.
: Although the self-confidence and autonomy to plan and lead classes is essential, PCDS teachers collaborate with colleagues and share ideas to ensure that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. In peer groups, successful Park City Day School teachers serve both as contributing followers and respectful leaders.
: As invested citizens of a school community and world network, PCDS teachers model the active intellectual and moral engagement necessary for a successful, sustainable society.
: To set a high standard in a world characterized by constant and rapid changes, PCDS teachers adapt creatively in response to institutional and global circumstances, advances in educational technology and innovation in instructional methods.
- "Strive for Five" School Values
: Our teachers daily model our five School Values - Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, and Compassion - and actively integrate them into the fabric of our school community through reflective opportunities and other daily “teachable moments.”
- A minimum of a college bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred. Coursework with an emphasis in counseling, special education or psychology strongly preferred;
- A minimum of three years related experience is strongly preferred.
Candidates will submit the following in one PDF file to email@example.com
. Successful candidates who may receive additional consideration will be contacted for an initial interview before a potential visit to the school.
- A current resume showing all relevant employment;
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position;
- A list of references that can be contacted at the appropriate time.